Hello! I’m Lisa Sperling, the person behind Sparrow Design Haus, a web design business for small businesses and solopreneurs. I am crazy about visual communication, branding, minimalist, expressive design – and, well, the web! I think of code as a catalyst to magic, and love seeing beautiful designs come to life.
I first discovered my passion for web design back in 2006 after designing a website to promote my tutoring services. In 2010, my first blog Joycreation was born. Joycreation introduced me to WordPress and a ton of amazing blogs. I was eager to learn how to customize a WordPress theme to make it look exactly the way I wanted. My curiosity and love for the web has continuously driven me to learn more, a quest I took to Madison College and their Graphic Design Program.
Having worn many hats over the years – from providing customer service, instructing and translating, to advocating for people with disabilities and managing teams, I’ve learned to adapt to a variety of situations. I think outside the box. I especially relate to and appreciate women who have taken a less conventional path to finding a profession they love and who thrive at what they do.
- I grew up in Germany and moved to the U.S. in 2005. I share a cozy little brick house with my fiancé in Madison, WI.
- My last name Sperling is German for sparrow.
- My family is spread across Germany, France, Denmark, Norway and Bulgaria (needless to say, family reunions have proven to be somewhat “tricky”).
- I love going to theater performances, especially in the summer when they’re outdoors.
- I’m inspired by people such as Seth Godin, Marie Forleo, Jess Lively, Jamie Ridler and the like.
- It takes a long time for me to get cabin fever. But when it does kick in, there are the endless choices of coffee shops in our neighborhood, which serve as my second home and office.
- I love long walks, outdoor adventures, dancing and good talks with friends!